Thursday, October 9, 2008

Information Overload

I don’t know about you, but with the current economic situation of our country, the nasty political campaigns, and all the new media we have to choose from I am suffering from Information Overload which can bog me down mentally which hurts my productivity. To try to limit how much information I get and when, I do the following:

1) Read the news headlines on MSN and local newspaper websites once in the morning.
2) I watch one local news program each day, usually the 11 p.m. news.
3) I read my e-mail and return phone calls in blocks.
4) I delete e-mail forwards, chain letters and calls for political action without reading them.
5) I save my blog, magazine and social networking reading for the weekends when I’m less likely to be on overload.

It is sometimes hard to segment my days like this, but this system – though not foolproof – allows me to work in large blocks of time without being interrupted by the latest political, financial or celebrity scandal while staying on top of current issues of the day.

How do you compartmentalize your time to avoid the crush of news and information each day? I’d love to hear your ideas!

Virtually Yourz,
Dana Blozis

No comments: