Monday, July 14, 2008

Communication is Key

When working with any client, communication is key. This is particularly true when working virtually, especially if you've never had the opportunity to meet your client face to face. You have to count on every phone conversation, e-mail and written business agreement to fill in all of the needed blanks: work to be done, deadline, standards, expectations, payment terms, etc.

This recently came into play with a new client that hired me to do some web copywriting for her. We discussed the project by phone, and I followed up with a business agreement outlining what I'd do and when and what her role would be (providing information and paying me on time). I completed the project on time and haven't heard from the client since! She indicated via e-mail that the first page was "great," so I'm stumped as to what's happened. I've tried calling and e-mailing, but no word yet. Fortunately, I have the documentation of our agreement to back me up if needed.

This is yet another live-and-learn situation for me. I've been working virtually for nearly 5 years and have never had a client drop off the face of the earth before, though several have been slow in communicating with me. Usually when such things happen, I find a way to work an explanatory clause into my business agreement.

Have you ever had a similar situation? If so, how did you handle it? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Virtually Yourz,

Dana

No comments: