Monday, January 4, 2010

Why a press release?

People often ask me why press releases are important. The primary goal is to attract media attention and to stay top-of-mind with potential customers. The second goal is to drive traffic to your site so web visitors can learn more about you.

Any time I do a press release, I use both channels for announcing my client's product launch, fundraising campaign, event, business anniversary or other noteworthy news. First, I create a media list specific to my client, the industry and the market. Second, I distribute the press release to both free and paid online press release distribution sites. There are dozens, if not hundreds, to choose from so I try them out to see who gives me the most for the least. Some charge a fee, others do not, and results - specifically SEO - will vary depending on the service. Here are a few I like:

PRWeb.com (paid service)
PRLog.org (free)
Free-Press-Release.com (free and premium)
i-Newswire.com (free and premium)
1888PressRelease.com (free and premium)

To determine which services you like best, take a current press release and submit it to each of the services. After 2 or 3 days, do a Google search on the client name or news item to see where it ranks in the search engines. If you've done a good job, you should see your press release listed on page 1 of Google's results.

Questions? Comments? Email me or post something here.



Virtually Yourz,
Dana Neuts

Follow me on Twitter: VirtuallyYourz
Find me on Facebook, Biznik and LinkedIn

No comments: